mypay- advice to Londoners on pay


This website is intended to assist people working in London with problems to do with their pay from employment. It covers the most common circumstances in which disputes arise over pay.

 The website does not just give information on your rights, but is intended to give you answers to problems with pay by taking you through a series of questions. Some problems though, will be too complex for the site to deal with and if this happens we will point you to other sources of information and advice.    

TIME LIMITS: If you think you might want to take your employer to the Employment Tribunal, it is important to bear in mind that there are strict time limits. 

Find out more about time limits

What can we help with?

We help with:

  • Unpaid wages
  • National Minimum Wage
  • Sick pay and Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
  • Holiday pay
  • Notice pay when a period of employment ends

Workers and Employees

The problems that MyPay London can help with are legal rights available to workers and / or employees. Most people who work for someone else will fall within one of these catergories.

If you are unsure whether you are a worker or an employee, or someone has suggested you are self-employed, we have a section that advises you on worker / employment status.

Advice on worker / employee status

I need advice about....

Unpaid wages


Workers may have problems with their employer not paying them properly. This might be not being paid at all, missing hours, the wrong rate of pay or unlawful deductions from wages.

Advice on unpaid pages

National Minimum Wage


All workers are entitled to be paid at least the national minimum wage (for most people aged 25 or over that is £8.21ph from April 2019).

Advice on Minimum Wage

Holiday Pay


All workers are entitled to paid holiday and to a payment for accrued holiday pay when their employment ends.

Advice about holiday pay

Sick Pay


All workers are entitled to statutory sick pay. Many will have additional rights to sick pay under their contract.

Advice on sick pay

Notice pay


Employees are entitled to a notice period at the end of their employment.

Advice on notice

What do I do next?


Are you in a union?

 If you’re a member of a union, get in touch with them. They may be able to provide you with advice and, if necessary, legal representation. They may also know your employer and have experience of resolving issues with them. Also, if you do need legal representation later on, it’s important to involve your union from the beginning.

Addressing the issue with your employer

Some pay problems can be address with your employer. This can be done informally, but you might also want to raise a formal grievance.

Advice on raising a pay issue with your employer

Consider bringing an Employment Tribunal Claim

Ultimately, if you are not happy with the way your employer has dealt with your issue, you can present a claim to an Employment Tribunal.

Bringing a tribunal claim is a serious step and should not be under taken lightly. On the other hand, if you cannot sort out your pay issue with your employer, the Employment Tribunal offers an independent judicial body who can resolve the dispute.

Advice on bringing an ET Claim

Getting help and advice


Do you need further advice?

Although we try to give some basic guidance in response to your answers pay can be a complicated issue and every situation is different. It is common for people to remain unsure of where they stand and need some extra help.

More online guidance can be found on the government website: and the Citizen Advice site:

If you need in person advice your local Citizen’s Advice is a good starting point. You can find out where it is here:

You can also look for advice organisations through this website: 

You may also want to look for a solicitor. The Law Society can help you find one in your area: 


Since Legal Aid is generally not available for issues with pay, you will need to think about how a solicitor will be paid. It is worth checking you household and other insurance; a surprising number of policies include legal assistance with employment. Many solicitors will also offer a free appointment to discuss whether they can help.

  • This site was funded with grants from- Trust for London, Jomati Foundation and Clifford Chance  LLP.